Instant Pot®️ Short Rib Pot Pie
If you’re in the mood for comfort look no further. These beef short rib pot pies hit every mark.
Delicious thick stew like filling, topped with buttery golden crust. What more could you need?! Maybe a glass of red wine to go with it.
Using the instant pot makes it so much easier to make this recipe, before I switched over from the traditional oven method this recipe would take me a good 3 1/2 hours, totally worth it, but now that I use my handy dandy instant pot I can make this recipe in half the time which is a HUGE win! If you don’t have an instant pot yet, what are you waiting for?! I use mine for everything, if you’re curious on checking them out here is what I suggest:
- Affiliate link above, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you, if you use my affiliate link.
For this recipe we use beef short ribs, they can be a bit pricey, so I like to watch them for when they go on sale, if I need a substitute for them I like to use beef stew meat, it taste just as delicious. Short ribs just are a tad more tender.
Let’s gather our ingredients and get started.
We’re going to grab beef short ribs or beef stew meat, I love using ButcherBox for my meats, they offer 100% grass-fed and grass finished beef, heritage breed pork, and free range organic chicken.
We love ButcherBox because we are stationed in a remote area, so getting good quality meats where we are is hard to come by, with ButcherBox we get our meat delivered to our door once a month, which I tell you is so convenient when you homeschool and can’t always make it out to the stores miles and miles away from us.
Now that we have our beef, let’s grab an onion, some carrots, celery, mushrooms, white or baby Bella will work, we love our mushrooms in this house. 🤤 Baby potatoes, red or yellow your choice here. Butter because we know butter makes life even more delicious, flour, red wine, some better than bouillon, roasted beef flavor, a carton of beef stock, baby peas, parsley, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper, a puff pastry sheet, store bought or homemade and finally an egg. Phew! It’s seems like a lot but I PROMISE it’s so so worth it.
Let’s get the instant pot set to sauté. When hot add oil and allow a minute or so for the oil get hot. While it’s heating up, season your beef chunks with salt and pepper.
Time to start browning our beef, we want to sear it on all sides until nicely browned. Be mindful not to overcrowd the pot or the meat will get all wonky, we want to brown, not steam. Once beef is brown remove from pot and set in a large bowl on the side. Continue until all beef is browned.
Now that our beef is all nicely seared and set aside, add mushrooms to the pot and sauté until nicely browned, remove from pot and place in bowl with the beef.
Onion, carrots and celery get their turn to sauté too! 5 minutes or so. Add in those potatoes and sauté an additional 3 minutes. Remove all the veggies and places into bowl with the beef and mushrooms.
At this point the pot is probably loaded with delicious brown bits, we’re going to make our roux and get those bits up. Add your butter and scrape the bottom of the pot to get all the brown bits up as the butter melts. Once butter is melted add in flour and whisk to blend, keep whisking 3 minutes to cook the flour out.
Let’s add two heaping tablespoons of that delicious beef better than bouillon, whisk until smooth and thick.
Slowly pour in wine while continuing to whisk.
Pour in beef broth whisk until completely combine.
Time to put everything back into the pot, making sure to add the juices that collected in the bottom of the bowl. Add frozen peas, chopped herbs, bay leaf, salt and pepper to taste.
Place lid on instant pot, press manual or pressure cook for 35 minutes, allow to naturally release pressure for 15 minutes.
When all done, remove bay leaf from pot. Ladle filling into ramekins, place puff pastry on top of ramekins, brush with egg wash.
Bake in 400 degree oven or instant Omni, for 10 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Instant Pot®️ Short Rib Pot Pie
- 2 lbs Beef short ribs cut into 1” chunks
- 2 tbsp Avocado oil
- 1 lb Mushrooms quartered
- 1 Onion minced
- 4 Carrots chopped
- 3 Celery Stalks sliced
- 3 Red potatoes quartered
- 1/2 Stick of butter
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1 cup Red wine something you’d drink is best
- 2 tbsp Better than bouillon roast beef flavor
- 4 cups Beef broth
- 6 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 1 tbsp Parsley minced
- 1 bag Frozen Baby peas
- 2 Sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- Set Instant Pot to sauté, add oil and wait until pot is hot. Season short ribs with salt and pepper. Brown in batches until seared all on sides. Be mindful not to overcrowd the pot, you want to sear not steam the beef. When browned, remove from pan and set in bowl on the side.
- Now that the beef is all nicely seared and set aside, add mushrooms to Instant Pot and brown until nicely golden. Remove from pot and place in bowl with the beef.
- Time to sauté our onions, carrots and celery. 5 minutes, then we are going to add the potatoes and continue to sauté 3 minutes. Remove all vegetables from put and add to the beef, and mushrooms.
- Now we get to make our roux and deglaze the pot, we want all those brown bits of flavor. Add butter to the pot and scrape bottom of pot as butter melts. Add flour and whisk until blended, whisk 3 minutes so all that flour flavor cooks out.
- Add two heaping tablespoons of Better than bouillon to the roux and whisk until smooth.
- Slowly, pour in wine while continuing to whisk.
- Pour in beef stock and whisk to combine roux mixture with stock.
- 8. Time to put everything back into the pot, making sure you add the juices that collected in the bowl. Add frozen peas, chopped herbs, bay leaf and salt and pepper to taste. Place lid on Instant Pot, manual 35 minutes. Allow to naturally release for 15 minutes.
- When pot is done, remove bay leaf from pot. Ladle filling into ramekins. Place puff pastry on top of ramekins. Brush with egg wash. Bake in 400 degree oven, or Instant Pot Omni for 10 minutes or until crust is golden brown.