Instant Pot Carnitas
Carnitas has to be one of my favorite recipes to make, so easy to throw together and can be served in a large variety of ways. Burritos, tacos, over salad or my favorite in chilaquiles!
We start by cutting our pork shoulder into big chunks, place it into a ziplock and place all the marinade ingredients into the bag with the pork. Allow to marinate overnight or up to two days, I feel like longer the better, all that delicious marinade really penetrates the pork nicely.
Once I’m ready to cook the carnitas, I remove from the fridge about 20-30 minutes before to allow it to come to room temp.
I set my instant pot to sauté and add a couple tablespoons of oil and brown the pork in batches until it’s all nice and browned.
Once the pork is all nice and browned I add 1/2 cup of chicken stock to the pot to deglaze the pot and get all those amazing brown bits up.
Now we add all the marinade and pork back into the pot, and set to either manual or pressure cook for 35 minutes, each instant pot is somewhat different but the manual and pressure cook button are one in the
Allow to naturally release pressure for 20 minutes. Remove the pork and shred it up on a baking sheet. Add a couple scoops of the marinade mixture from the instant pot over the pork and broil for 10 minutes or until crispy.
Instant Pot®️ Carnitas
- Instant Pot
- 4 lb Boneless Pork Shoulder
- 2 Naval Oranges juiced
- 1 Lime juiced
- 2 tbsp Avocado or Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion chopped
- 2 Jalapeños sliced
- 3 Garlic Cloves smashed
- Handful Cilantro chopped
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Oregano
- 2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 cup Chicken Stock
- 1. Cut pork shoulder into chunks and add to a ziplock bag. 2. Add all ingredients to bag along with the pork. (Juice the oranges and limes and add juice and toss the juiced peels into the bag as well!) Mix all the ingredients well with the pork. 3. Allow to marinate in fridge overnight.
- Remove marinated pork from fridge 20 minutes before cooking to allow to get to room temp. Set Instant Pot to sauté, add 2 tablespoons oil to bottom of pot. Brown pork chunks in batches. (Be sure the save all the delicious marinade for the pressure cooking part!) After browned on each side remove and set on plate until all pork is brown.
- Now that all the pork is browned and on the plate, add 1/2 cup of chicken stock to the Instant Pot to get all the brown bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Add the pork, and all the marinade from the bag into the Instant Pot. Place lid on pot and make sure you turn the knob to seal. Set on manual for 35 minutes, and allow to naturally release pressure for at least 20 minutes.
- When done cooking, remove pork chunks to a baking sheet and shred. Add a couple spoonfuls of cooking liquid over the shredded pork. Stick in the broiler for 10-15 minutes to get it nice and crispy. Serve.